Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Few of My Favorite Movies

I wanted to have a little fun and writing about movies is one of my favorite things, (besides watching movies) so from time to time I might put up a list like this just for a little insight into my thought on movies, music etc., or just for fun. If you have any suggestions for a blog post or a list like this please leave it in the comments or send me a Tweet on Twitter at ChristineLarran@twitter.com

Annie Hall - Alvy Singer examines his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Annie Hall, through flashbacks and discussions with the audience. There are so many reasons why this movie is great, the backdrop of New York, the great dialogue and the Diane Keaton of it all. But the reason I like this movie is the story and the heart that Woody Allen shows his audience. Allen tossed in all the real emotions that we go through in relationships and what we feel when it all goes wrong. To me, this film is a masterpiece because it shows how                                                                                               imperfect we all are.

Kill Bill 2 - Beatrix Kiddo is on the rampage road and her ex-lover/Assassin Boss is the main target. What is there not to like about this movie? Amazing dialogue, story, and beautiful cinematography, Tarantino's version of a Spaghetti Western is by far one of the best revenge movies ever. My favorite reference to Superman is a monologue by David Carradine (Bill), it's true, Superman has to become Clark Kent but he was born Superman.

Seven Samurai- This is my favorite  of Akira Kurosawa's films. Sure there are other's that are just as good if not better, but this is my favorite. This is the movie that so many directors have repeatedly made over as Westerns and action movies, but they fall short of this original. The plot is simple, a farming village is being exploited by bandits that plan to rob them after the villages crops come in, to dissuade them from coming they decide to hire a group of Samurais to protect the village.

Jaws - A great white shark has made the small town of Amity live in terror. Chief Brody has decided to hunt the shark himself with the aid of a young Marine Biologist and a salty fishing captain he sets out to lure the shark out to the ocean, not realizing that is exactly what the shark wants. I probably saw this movie way to young it made a deep impression on me. Jaws is really the movie that made me love movies and want to figure out how to make movies. It was beautifully shot, the plot is intriguing and the characters are some of the most colorful. The actors in this movie work so well together to bring this story to life, you almost want them to be real. I honestly thought when I was a kid that someday I would meet Hooper. Also because of this movie I have never, ever waded out past my shins into the water, it really made an impact on me about what is in the ocean.

Comet- Sam Esmil's directorial debut, Comet is an ethereal movie examining the relationship between Dell and Kimberly. Using flashbacks of conversations and glimpses of parallel universes, showing what Dell really wanted all along and ended up losing.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Based on the life of t.v. game show producer and host Chuck Barris, Confessions  is a memoir of what covert CIA operations Barris says he was involved in. SAm Rockwell is genius as the off the wall but controlled agent that Barris says he was. It's also one of the first movies that George Clooney directed.


The Darjeeling Limited- The Whitman brothers have met up in India at the insistence of oldest brother Francis to have a spiritual journey of sorts, really he's brought them there to see their estranged mother who has been missing since their father's death the year before. Really he just wants them to be a family again. It's a look at a family still reeling after the death of their parent and favorite person. This is my favorite Wes Anderson directed film, maybe because I've had a lot of los in my life or because I like the thought of getting lost in India and finding myself.

Marley- This documentary about the Jamaican born reggae music star is enlightening. It shows a reason and love in life. I like it because of it's message of positivity and creativity.
  
Clerks- Kevin Smith's writing and directing debut, it's a story about lifelong friendship and off the wall customers that two clerks have to deal with in their life. This movie showed me that anything is possible in the world, if a guy could max out his credit cards and go on to have a successful career in movie making than anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment