Sunday, March 18, 2018

pro-cras-ti-na-tion

With me procrastination can be an art form. Take today for instance, I knew that I had to get up and write, I got up late which means I got started on my hike late. Then instead of coming back and starting to write I watched the Hank Williams biopic I Saw the Light, (great if you like Tom Hiddleston, but just a little fuzzy on the Hank of it all) and then I decided that the couch covers needed to be washed and the living room swept and dusted. This is a typical routine that I employ to get out of doing the work. I come up with tasks to get out of working.

Even tonight I had months to download pictures and upload them to Flickr, but for some reason I decided that I had to get them uploaded tonight just to get out of working. I'm also one of those people that enjoys a hard deadline and yes, makes the deadline but sometimes doesn't start working on a project till that morning or the night before. It's a habit that I am working to break which is another reason for taking on 100 days of writing. I need to get into a daily practice of just doing the work. I enjoy doing the work when it comes right down to it and can get it done, it's just the getting there that's the issue.

It's like Steven Pressfield say's in his book The War of Art, "Resistance is the most toxic force on the planet. It is the root of more unhappiness than poverty, disease, and erectile dysfunction. To yield to Resistance deforms our spirit. It stunts us and make us less than we are and were born to be." Pressfield's right the only personthat you are hurting with your procrastination/resistance is yourself, by not even trying to do the work you let down the person that you could be. 

Feel free to leave comments here and at https://www.patreon.com/RecklessPress  and follow me @ChrisitneLarra on Twitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment