Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Pho

It really doesn't matter what time of year, day etc. that it is, if you mention Pho to me, we're going. It's probably one of the simplest but most complex foods I've ever eaten. I feel in love with it years ago and it seeped it's way into my soul.

Brisket, tendon, chicken, tripe, meatballs and seafood have littered my bowls on South Federal in Denver. Some of the best Pho places that I've been to have been only doors away from my house most of my life. Even though I've moved to another suburb miles away from Federal, there are still two Pho restaurants within walking distance of my front door.Of course there is always one that is better than the other, the one I prefer is Pho 95 in the Southglenn shopping center just up from the movie theater. The broth is fantastically flavorful without an overpowering taste of onion. The place up my street isn't bad but the broth is cloudy and there are some flavors missing. The place in Southglenn also has some great rice and noodle dishes if you don't want Pho, but I digress this is all about the Pho.

I feel in love with Pho about 20 years ago when an ex-boyfriend took me. At first all I would try was the chicken Pho, my 20 year old self didn't know what I was missing out on by just having the chicken until late one night we stopped for a bowl after a night of drinking and they were out of chicken. I got talked into trying brisket and meatball, and really haven't looked back at chicken Pho unless I'm really sick and then I'll eat that. My favorite combination has become brisket, flank and tendon, I've tried the meatball but for me I prefer the tendon and some restaurants just do not make a good meatball. As much as I love other Asian cuisines, like Thai, their just is nothing that compares to the warm bowl of noodles, meats and fresh cilantro, chilis and onions.There's just something magical about Pho. It could be that it comes from street but it's the most nutritious food ever, it was meant to nurture the masses.

As simple as a dish as Pho is, it also has a complex history. It is the national dish of Vietnam, however where it came from is a mystery of sorts. For sure it became popularized in the Hanoi region of northern Vietnam. Like a lot of other Vietnamese cuisine Pho, was more than likely influenced by the French when they colonized most of Vietnam in the late 1880s and most of Vietnamese food is derived from the French, with a Vietnamese twist. Like Banh Mi sandwiches are definitely a combination of both worlds combining to make something that is uniquely Vietnamese. The baguette and cheese are the French influence, and the meat and vegetables are the Vietnamese contributions to these great sandwiches. my favorite is thinly sliced pork with cheese, cucumber, cilantro, mayo and chili sauce. Seriously if you can get your hands on one, try it, so worth eating the bread. Even if it is just a shredded pork Banh Mi, try it. Banh Mis and Pho are amazing.

There is just something comforting about a big bowl of noodles with various meats, chilis, onions, cilantro and bean sprouts with a little hoisin, chili and fish sauce that just makes everything in the world that much better. I had never thought about the food that was in my own backyard until someone else shock my box, now it's what I crave all the time. It might be what is really driving me to want to visit Vietnam and Thailand. Since I was young I have wanted to go to Thailand, but it's become a burning desire as of late. Perhaps both countries are close on my horizon.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment