Thursday, December 18, 2014

Just need to get something off my chest

So awhile ago I had to go to a Child Support conference with my daughters father and he said something that really cheezed me off. So for some reason I wrote a poem and I now feel like sharing it with people. I think I just feel the need to vent. Please bare with me while I do so.

Note to My Daughter's Father

You can be mad at me 
and try to blame me 
for the loss of your 
relationship with your 
daughter, but I know
that I gave you every 
opportunity to be her father. 

From the moment that 
she was born I gave 
you the opportunity to 
be the man and father 
that she needed, instead
you turned a blind eye, 
and turned a spotlight 
onto drugs, alcohol and 
criminal mischief. 

You turned a blind eye
to her needs till it 
suited your life and you 
needed something to care 
about to make you feel better 
about yourself. 

When you came into her 
life at three years old, 
meeting her for the first 
time in a Therapist's office, 
she asked you, "Why didn't 
you want me?" 

It was a question I hadn't 
prompted her with, a question 
she had not asked me about you, 
but a question she needed an 
answer from you, but 
you didn't answer it. 
Instead a year and a half later, 
you left again. 

During your time around her
you wanted her to call you "Daddy"
when in her mind you weren't. 
You were upset by the fact 
that she calls her Uncle Dad 
and wanted her to stop. 
But the fact is he is. 

He's the one who stepped up, 
bought diapers, clothes, 
played with her, watched 
Sesame Street, spent countless 
hours making her laugh, changed 
her diapers, paced the floor with her 
when she was sick, snuggled watching 
movies, taught her how to swim, 
talk and walk and was there for all 
her firsts, while you were out in 
a drug fueled haze. 
He's her dad. 

You've recently come back around 
surprised that she doesn't want to 
to see you, telling me and the 
Child Support Counselor, 
"Oh, well I have my son."
My daughter is not replaceable. 
She is a person who you should 
have respect for because no matter what 
she is your daughter. 

You hear all this noise from 
biological fathers about 
how they have to fight for 
time, etc. for most of them 
I feel the pain and understand, 
but for you I have none, 
because you blatantly 
threw it way for a high. 

You have no one to blame 
but yourself, you had 
more opportunities than most
and threw them all away. 

You can't blame me, because I tried, 
for my daughter I tried and made sure 
she knew that I've tried.

I will never feel bad when I tell her,
"Hey he's the one who is missing out not you. 
You are amazing and it's his loss, not yours."
You have no one to blame for the way 
things turned out but yourself and 
you have to deal with that, not me, not her,
but you. 


I just needed to vent and get this off my chest, feeling a bit better now. Next post will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment